Thursday, January 7, 2010

Distance makes the heart grow fonder

For most of the seven years I have been “with” the bf, he has travelled regularly for work. Generally, this has been a few days once a month or as much a two-weeks every six months or so. During these small times apart, we stall in touch by phone. These times have also given me an opportunity to spend some time by myself and have occasional adventures. Since I have kept my own place and generally spend 90% of my time at his house when he is in town – these business trips have been invaluable pressure valves in our relationship.

Five months ago – the bf’s employment shifted as he hasn’t been on a trip since. It has been nice to have him around, but I was beginning to feel torn. Since I live in two locations I was beginning to feel ungrounded – needing to readjust and find some terra firma. I also  was looking forward to a chance to reconnect with some old friends and fuck buddies.

There are some who would say my need for these holidays points to a flaw in our relationship – and you may be right – but in some ways it works – giving us a breathe of fresh air and a time for distance to kick in and make the heart grow fonder.

He is leaving in a day … I am definitely having feeling of sadness and anxiety, but I would be lying if I didn’t admit that part of me is excited. Stay tuned!

No comments: