Monday, June 8, 2009

Don't Roll your Eyes


Our fair city is blessed with a series of paths that run along the river allowing one to bike/walk/ run from lots of areas to the downtown. It takes me about an hour to get from my house to my office all along the river with some minor crossing of streets and traffic.


On my way to work this morning I got to one part of the route where the pavement gets narrow, so that as a biker I have to be careful about pedestrians and runners. Generally, I warn people and tell them I am on their right or left and as I pass usually say thank-you.

So I see ahead of me two women jogging side by side. There was a narrow space between them and a fence. So I yelled ahead, but there was not response, they were too plugged into their IPods. As I got closer I said it again. Once again no response. Finally I shouted and one of the women pulled the other closer so I could pass. As I rode past I gave them a dirty look. The one woman yelled at me “don’t roll your eyes.” I decided not to reply but it really pissed me off.

We all have to share the road and have a responsibility to be aware of our surroundings. Clueless people who are so plugged in and cannot hear what is around them need to unplug and observe the rules of the road.

So I will continue to roll my eyes at clueless people!

No comments: