Friday, May 23, 2008

Caught with our pants down


I generally don't blog about current events or political issues even though these issues are very much on my mind. Being a obsessive NPR listener and news junkie I can't help but look at the current gas price hike and American's feeling like their balls are in a vice and just raise my eyebrows and say:

WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU THINKING?

We are 2-5 years away from cars being released that get decent gas mileage.

Most American cities do not have any decent mass transit options.

We have delayed serious research/implementations of alternative fuels energy generation when we had the chance.

I am old enough to remember the gas crisis of the mid-70's and the fledgling attempts at conservation then - that petered out and died.

I laugh at the SUV drivers who are getting 14 mpg.

I cry at the fact on how few options there are for 30+ mpg vehicles.

Basically America got caught with its pants down and it will be at least 5-10 years of real hard times as we re-think, re-tool and fight back to a point where we can stabalize from the price of high energy. I would feel glib if it didn't affect all of us and know for a substantial amounts of my hard working fellow americans this is really going to hurt!


Oh I found this image while looking for a pants down appropriate image - its hot and positive and a turn-on - so maybe as a silver-lining we can not use our cars AC - rip off our shirts and go for it!

No comments: