Saturday, May 24, 2008

Lossing my Voice


I chair a committee at my Temple. For anyone out there who does any volunteer work you know how dicey working with other volunteers can be. We may come to the venture with all the best intentions, but in the end egos get in the way. As a leader I try to stay above the fray and model patience, listening and search for concensus. I am not a saint, but I don't try to petty either. If a less stable person lashes out, I generally take it in stride, take a deep breathe and let it pass.

For the last month the entire community has been plagued by a person with an ax to grind. She is obsessed with a single issue and has been repeated told that people don't agree with her. Finally she seems to be internalizing the fact that she has lost that battle but now wants to be put on the committee. To add insult to injury she keeps asking for my phone number.

I have repeatedly told her that I don't give my phone number out and she has started a campaign to require that people who chair committees to give out their phone numbers.

The strangest thing is that this women is psychologist.

On advice of other people - I have decide not to engage her or respond to any of her allegations or baiting words. The problem is doing so drives me crazy. I feel like a lost my voice.

I remember years ago when I tried to reconnect with my older brother. As we sat in a coffee shop he started to say all sorts of things about my parents. Part of my brain shut down and I didn't respond - realizing there was no way to communicate within and not wanting a fight. I lost my voice that night too.

No comments: